Thursday, February 14, 2013
Ordway out of WEEI...
In another large salary dump for the market, WEEI has parted ways with Glenn Ordway. This comes on the heels of a recent WEEI focus group, indicating they are making an effort to win back the younger demo that dissappeared when WBZ-FM, 98.5 The Sports Hub went on the air.
Glenn is being allowed to finish out the week, and has said nothing but nice things about the station since the new came out. It appears they are departing on somewhat good terms. (Which usually means a reasonably good payout.)
Jim & Margery, Michael Graham, Tom Finneran, Pebbles...entire staffs of WTKK, WFNX, WBOS, WODS, almost the whole staff of WROR. (Are there any jobs left?) Not to mention the dumping of well know television people in recent years. It appears radio and TV is deciding that the role of the "personality" is not valued.
Here is some recent coverage of the Ordway situation:
- Glenn Ordway opens up about departure from WEEI (Chad Finn, Boston.com)
- WEEI replaces Glenn Ordway with Mike Salk (Chad Finn, Boston.com)
- Glenn Ordway gets ax in sports talk battle (Matt Stout, Boston Herald)
- Ordway will be missed, but game goes on (Steve Buckley, Boston Herald)
- Looking to future for next big thing (Gayle Fee, Boston Herald)
- WEEI fires Kevin Winter from morning show (Chad Finn, Boston Globe)
- WEEI convenes focus group of Sports Talk listeners (Chad Finn, Boston Globe)
- WEEI statement on Glenn Ordway (Bruce Allen, Boston Sports Media Watch)
- Ordway confirms exit on the air today (Bruce Allen, Boston Sports Media Watch)