Friday, May 14, 2010

 

Teens and radio....



I try to focus mostly on Boston radio, but occasionally I see a trend that is happening somewhere that I like to point out.

The headline "Teens and radio..." is not about teen listeners (that's an issue for another day)...but their interest in the professional side of radio.

This is a story about WHSS in Cincinnati, but I think it is a trend in HS and college radio everywhere....students just aren't that interested anymore.

Hamilton High radio station to shut down

WHSS advisor David Spurrier tells the Journal-News fewer teens see broadcasting as a viable career option. “It’s been a while since I’ve been able to place a kid even part-time in a radio station,” he says. “Having a career education program for broadcasting just doesn’t make sense anymore.” The days of 75 students trying to get an air shift on the modern rock station are gone Spurrier says.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?